What Should I Engrave on My Medical ID?
Once informed that you should wear a medical ID, the next important step is to determine the important information that needs to be engraved on your medical ID tag. If you are a doctor, nurse or work for a medical ID company this task isn't typically that difficult. But for every other person on the planet it can be quite daunting! Here at Lauren's Hope, we understand the importance of having the proper information engraved should an emergency occur and we are here to help every step of the way when it comes to engraving your medical ID.
Here is a sample list of commonly engraved conditions. Please remember that each tag is unique to the individual and must be customized appropriately. This should serve only as a guide to what medical information is typically engraved on an ID tag.
Questions? Suggestions? Please leave those in the comments section of this post.
What should I engrave on my medical ID tag?
First and Last Name
Emergency Contact Number #1
Emergency Contact Number #2
Tips and Hints
- Remember, in a true medical emergency, if you are unable to communicate, your medical ID tag can be your life saver. Your medical ID tag is there to communicate your medical needs if you can't. So be sure to engrave the information that will be the most helpful to the medical professionals who are the 1st to arrive at the scene.
- If you include medication names on your engraving, be sure to indicate whether or not you are taking the medication or you are allergic to the medication. For example, "ON SULFA" vs. "SULFA ALLERGY"
- Unless you are listing several numbers for the same person, you do not need to indicate that it is a cell or work number. It is best to abbreviate (C) for cell phone, (W) for work, (H) for home and (DR) for your physician.
- A smaller amount of text on a line will result in larger text on the engraved medical ID tag.
- The medical ID tag will be easier to read if the lines are evenly spaced.
- When listing allergies, say “peanut allergy” instead of “allergy to peanuts” - it takes up less space.
Here are some examples:
DIABETES TYPE I
INSULIN DEPENDENT (OR INSULIN PUMP)
GASTRIC BYPASS 7/06
NO NG TUBE / NSAIDS
PCN & KEFLEX
SEVERE PCN ALLERGY
SEE WALLET CARD
FOR FULL LIST
SEE WALLET CARD
NO BP / IV / NEEDLES
IN LEFT ARM
To view our Full Collection of Medical ID Tags, Click Here
If you have a question about what to engrave on your medical ID, please don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-360-8680. We would be happy to help you with your medical ID engraving.