Having weight loss surgery, such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery, is a lifelong commitment that is truly life-changing. For many, after gastric bypass, medical alert jewelry isn't their first concern, but it is a real necessity as you recover and move on with your terrific new beginning!
Why Do I Need To Wear A Gastric Bypass Medical Alert Bracelet?
There are several reasons why people who have had weight loss surgery need medical ID jewelry:
- ALERTING MEDICAL PERSONNEL: First and foremost, wearing medical alert jewelry alerts medical personnel to the fact that you have had weight loss surgery. Having this information helps them diagnose you more quickly and treat you more safely and efficiently.
- AVOIDING BLIND NG TUBES: If you are injured or hospitalized and require an NG Tube (nasogastric intubation) to receive medications or nourishment, it cannot be inserted blindly, as is possible with a typical anatomy. After gastric bypass, the pouch formed in the surgery is delicate and small. A blind NG tube can easily rupture your pouch, causing a serious medical emergency.
- AVOIDING NSAIDS: NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are dangerous for people who have had gastric bypass surgery. These medications can cause ulcers, which is serious enough. However, after weight loss surgery, your stomach pouch is very small, so even a single ulcer would account for a large percentage of the surface area. Additionally, if you developed an ulcer in your "old" stomach, it would require surgery to repair it, as your doctor would not even be able to view it via scope because the "old" stomach is blocked off. So avoiding NSAIDS is another big issue.
- AVOIDING SUGARS: After gastric bypass, avoiding sugars is essential. Eating simple sugars can cause Dumping Syndrome, a situation in which the food moves too quickly through the stomach and small intestine, causing potentially severe side effects such as nausea, dizziness, faintness, rapid heartbeat, shaking, sweating, and diarrhea. Having your sugery listed on your medical ID helps EMTs and ER doctors know that they should avoid giving you sugars AND that they should consider Dumping Syndrome during diagnosis and treatment.
- TAKING MEDICATIONS: During recovery and on an ongoing basis, you may be onmedications, both relating to your gastric bypass and not. If your medications change frequently or there are too many to list, it's a good idea to engrave, "SEE WALLET CARD" on your medical ID tag and list them there. You can download a FREE wallet card from Lauren's Hope by filling out the form to the left, and you'll get a fantastic coupon code along with it!
What Should I Engrave On My Gastric Bypass Medical ID Bracelet?
Here are some examples of what to engrave on your weight loss surgery medical alert jewelry:
JANE SMITHGASTRIC BYPASS 4/12NO BLIND NG TUBENO NSAIDS/SUGARSSEE WALLET CARD OR JOE SMITH SULFA ALGYGASTRIC SLEEVE 1/13NO BLIND NG TUBESEE WALLET CARDICE: 555.123.4567 OR KATE SMITHGASTRIC BYPASS 5/11NO BLIND NG TUBEEPIPEN 4 BEESICE: 555.123.4567
Resize It For Free!
Lauren's Hope offers a fantastic collection of interchangeable medical alert bracelets, cuffs, necklaces, and more so you can step out confidently and in style as you enjoy a new lease on life. As you lose weight, we're happy to offer one FREE resizing in the first six months after you purchase a Lauren's Hope medical ID bracelet. You only pay for shipping and handling. After that, resizing is $10 per bracelet plus shipping and handling. Not sure what size you need? Download a FREE measuring tape by filling out the form above on the left, plus, you'll get an exclusive coupon code!